Sometimes you just want a quick and easy dessert without heating up the kitchen to bake, right? Icebox cake is a tried and true classic recipe that will be perfect to accomplish that goal! If you’ve never tried an Icebox cake, you have to plan to make it this week! Seriously! The trick is that the cookies soften with time by the moisture of the other ingredients and it really tastes like cake! Well, cake plus creamy and fruity deliciousness!
Any type of fruit can be used on this icebox cake. You can also add instant vanilla pudding in between the layers OR mix in some cream cheese if you’d like to take it up a notch. If you don’t have graham crackers just substitute something like vanilla wafers or another sugary type cookie. The end results will still be amazing, trust me! OR, if you are having more of a chocolate craving try my similar recipe for Chocolate Lasagna found here!
Icebox Cake Recipe
- 3 ½ cups very cold heavy whipping cream
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Graham crackers
- 4 cups – fresh fruit – strawberries, blueberries, red raspberries and blackberries, or any combination you like
- Place mixing bowl in freezer about 30 min before using to chill
- While mixing bowl is chilling, prepare fruit by cleaning and slicing strawberries
- In a large mixing bowl, beat heavy whipping cream, powdered sugar and vanilla until stiff peaks form
- Divide whipping cream mixture into fourths
- Spread a small spoonful of cream on bottom of pan evenly
- Add graham crackers, trim crackers to fit if necessary
- Spread ¼ of the whipping cream mixture on top of the graham crackers
- Add ⅓ of the fruit on top of the whipping cream
- Optional but helpful to level the crackers – Add a small amount of whip cream on top of the fruit to level it.
- Add another layer of graham crackers, pressing down gently into the cream
- Then repeat layers, finishing the cream on top
- Cover and refrigerate overnight
- Garnish with additional fruit if you like
- Serve chilled
- Store leftovers in the refrigerator
Want more quick & easy desserts? Try some of these: