Day 6 of our 12 Days of Christmas Cookies, we are 1/2 the way through! Yippee!! My waist line will be glad when we are done and I have saved some of the best recipes and my favorite for the end…
This is so far probably the most time consuming cookie recipe I have posted and it really was not bad at all! Just a few extra steps that take not really any time for a nice looking cookie!
These are a fancier version of the thumbprint cookie.
Chocolate, Hazelnut, Caramel Thumbprint Cookies Recipe
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup Dutch-process cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup finely chopped hazelnuts
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- 14 vanilla caramels, unwrapped
- 3 tablespoons whipping cream
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate pieces
- 1 teaspoon shortening
Toasted whole hazelnuts
1. In a small bowl combine flour and cocoa powder; set aside. In a medium bowl beat butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add sugar and salt; beat until combined, scraping bowl occasionally. Beat in egg yolk, milk, and vanilla until combined. Beat in as much of the flour mixture as you can with the mixer. Using a wooden spoon, stir in any remaining flour mixture. Cover; chill for 1 hour.
2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease two cookie sheets; set aside. Shape dough into 1-inch balls. Place the 1 cup hazelnuts on a sheet of waxed paper. Dip balls in egg white and roll in hazelnuts. Place 1 inch apart on prepared cookie sheets. Using your thumb, make an indentation in the center of each cookie. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until edges are firm.
3. Meanwhile, for filling, in a small saucepan cook caramels and cream over low heat until caramels are melted and the mixture is smooth, stirring frequently.
4. Immediately after removing cookies from the oven, use the rounded side of a 1-teaspoon measuring spoon to press down the center of each cookie. Transfer to wire racks; cool. Spoon about 1 teaspoon filling into the center of each cookie.
5. In a small microwave-safe bowl combine chocolate pieces and shortening. Microwave on 100 percent power (high) for 30 to 45 seconds or until softened; stir until smooth. Place a small mound of chocolate on top of each cookie. Top with a whole hazelnut. Let stand until chocolate is set.
Check out the other recipes:
- 12 Days of Christmas Cookies – Day 1 – Candy Cane Cookies
- 12 Days of Christmas Cookies – Day 2 – Cowboy Cookies Recipe
- 12 Days of Christmas Cookies – Day 3 – Cherry Chocolate Kiss Cookies Recipe
- 12 Days of Christmas Cookies – Day 4 – Melting Snowmen Cookies Recipe
- 12 Days of Christmas Cookies – Day 5 – Snowball Cookies Recipe