Summer is here and July means Shark Week! Shark Week if you’re new is a week long event on Discovery Channel. Shark fans will tell you this is the place to be (or thing to watch) every year. You can see educational shows about every kind of shark and then see the shark attack and close encounters all without having to leave the comfort of your home! (Thank goodness right?) We thought these adorable Shark Oreo Cookies would be a great way to get the kids together and make them (for older littles) and serve them as a sweet treat while you watch all Shark Week long. I promise these are A LOT easier than they may look. Plus once you make these I guarantee you’ll want to try other themes as well.
You will need: (These ingredients will make 6 Shark Oreos)
- Cookie mold
- 6 regular Oreo cookies
- 1cup Blue Wilton Candy Melts (from a 12 oz bag)
- 12 Wilton Candy Eyes
- Wilton White Decorator Icing
- 3 large blue Airhead candies
- 1 large red Air Head candy
- 2 large white Air Head candies
- Kitchen scissors
1. Heat the blue candy melts in a Wilton candy warmer or double boiler pan until completely melted and smooth.
2. Pour 2 Tablespoons of the melted candy in each cookie mold.
3. Place an Oreo cookie in each mold, on top of the melted chocolate.
4. Pour additional melted blue candy on top of each cookie, up to the top of each mold. Refrigerate for 30 minutes to allow the chocolate to harden.
5. For the shark fins, cut out 18 (1 1/2 inch long) triangles from the blue Airheads. Set aside.
6. Cut out 6 shark mouths from the red Airheads candy. You can make them any shape you like, just be sure to make them large enough to fit the shark teeth in them.
7. Cut out 24-30 sharp teeth from the white Airheads candy. Apply a small amount of icing to the back of each tooth and place on the red mouth. Give each shark a few upper teeth and some bottom teeth. I used 4-5 teeth per mouth.
8. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Gently pop out the chilled Oreos onto the cookie sheet.
9. Pipe 2 dots of icing on each cookie and place the eyes on the icing. Press down gently.
10. Pipe icing on the cookie where each mouth goes and gently lay the teeth-filled mouths over the icing. Press down gently.
11. For the top shark fin, gather 6 of the blue triangles and gently bend the upper tip to the right. This will give the fins a slight curve. Apply icing across the bottom of each top fin and lay the top edge of the Oreos on top. Press down firmly.
12. For the 6 left fins, apply icing across the bottom of each fin and attach to the left back edge of each Oreo cookie. Press down firmly. (If you would like a curve to the fins, stretch the tip of the triangle slightly down to the left).
13. For the remaining 6 right fins, apply icing across the bottom of each fin and attach to the right back edge of each shark cookie. Press down firmly. (If you would like a curve to the fins, stretch the tip of the triangle slightly down to the right).
14. Leave the shark cookies on the cookie sheet and place in the refrigerator for 20 minutes for everything to “set.”