Sometimes I forget to make Snickerdoodle Cookies, and then I get a craving and realize just how good they really are!
This is a SUPER easy recipe, and legend has it that it is the Mrs. Fields Snickerdoodle recipe… I am not for certain, but it is really the best Snickerdoodle recipe out there!
We made these last Monday when the kids were out of school. My 11 year old asked, “When do we add the Snickers?” I had to laugh because when I was a kid for the longest time I thought there were Snickers in them as well!
Best Snickerdoodle Recipe
- 1/2 cup butter (1 stick) softened
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugars with an electric mixer on high speed. Add the egg and vanilla and beat until smooth.
- In another bowl, combine the flour, salt, baking soda, and cream of tartar.
- Pour the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and mix well.
- Preheat oven to 320 degrees while you let the dough rest for 30 to 60 minutes in the refrigerator.
- In a small bowl, combine the sugar with the cinnamon for the topping.
- Take about 2 1/2 tablespoons of the dough and roll it into a ball. Roll this dough in the cinnamon/sugar mixture and press it onto an ungreased cookie sheet. Repeat for the remaining cookies.
- Bake the cookies for 12 to 14 minutes and no more. The cookies may seem undercooked, but will continue to develop after they are removed from the oven. When the cookies have cooled they should be soft and chewy in the middle.