Day 7 of our 12 Days of Christmas cookies and I made Red Velvet Whoopie Pies! I love, love the “fake” Oreo cookies that use the cake mix for the cookie, this is almost the same thing and I am sure you can use a cake mix. But red velvet seems like one of those flavors that you have to just make them from scratch.
Mine turned out a little “puffy” I wanted them flatter, but the kids loved them, they even liked them better with no frosting. Weird kids. Anyway, give them a try!
Red Velvet Whoopie Pies
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 1 ounce bottle red food coloring (2 Tbsp.)
- 1 recipe Whoopie Pie Filling (see recipe below)
Directions1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line baking sheets with parchment; set aside. In medium bowl combine flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
2. In large mixing bowl beat butter on medium to high 30 seconds. Beat in brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. Alternately add flour mixture and buttermilk, beating after each addition just until combined. Stir in food coloring.
3. Spoon batter in 1- or 2-inch diameter rounds, about 1/2-inch high on prepared baking sheets, allowing 1 inch between each round.
4. Bake 7 to 9 minutes for 1-inch cookies or 9 to 11 minutes for 2-inch cookies, or until tops are set. Cool completely on baking sheets on rack. Remove cooled cookies from baking sheets.
5. To fill, dollop Whoopie Pie Filling on flat sides of half the cookies. Top with remaining cookies, flat sides down. Makes 60 one-inch or 42 two-inch cookies.
- 1/4 cup softened butter
- 1/2 8 ounce package softened cream cheese
- 1 7 ounce jar marshmallow creme
Check out the other recipes:
- 12 Days of Christmas Cookies – Day 1 – Candy Cane Cookies
- 12 Days of Christmas Cookies – Day 2 – Cowboy Cookies Recipe
- 12 Days of Christmas Cookies – Day 3 – Cherry Chocolate Kiss Cookies Recipe
- 12 Days of Christmas Cookies – Day 4 – Melting Snowmen Cookies Recipe
- 12 Days of Christmas Cookies – Day 5 – Snowball Cookies Recipe
- 12 Days of Christmas Cookies – Day 6 – Chocolate Hazelnut Caramel Cookies Recipe