This is the 4th day of our Christmas cookie fun! These were fun and darling little cookies to make! Very easy and you can make any cookie to have the snowman on. I made a chocolate peanut butter. You can do a sugar cookie if you want!
I had some sprinkles left over from Halloween and used those as the eyes and nose. Reeses peanut butter cups, the small bell ones were cut in half for the hat.
Melted almond bark makes the melted snowman part.
Melted Snowmen Cookies
- 1/2cup shortening
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 pound vanilla-flavored candy coating, coarsely chopped
- 20 bite-size chocolate-covered peanut butter cups, unwrapped
Brown and orange sprinkles or other candies and/or tinted frosting
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a large mixing bowl beat shortening and peanut butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Beat in the granulated sugar, brown sugar, baking powder, salt, and baking soda until combined, scraping sides of bowl occasionally. Beat in egg, milk, and vanilla until combined. Beat in the cocoa powder and as much of the flour as you can with the mixer. Stir in any remaining flour.
2. Shape dough into twenty 1 3/4-inch balls. Place balls 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheets.
3. Bake for 9 to 11 minutes or until edges are just firm. Cool on cookie sheet for 2 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool.
4. Line a baking sheet with waxed paper. Place cooled cookies on prepared baking sheet. In a medium microwave-safe bowl microwave candy coating on 50% power for 2 1/2 to 3 minutes or until melted and smooth, stirring every 30 seconds. Spoon melted coating over each cookie to cover cookie and resemble melted snow. While coating is still tacky, add a peanut butter cup for a top hat and decorate with sprinkles or other candies to resemble snowman faces (If using frosting to make snowman faces, add it when the candy coating is dry.) Let stand until set.
Check out the other recipes:
- 12 Days of Christmas Cookies – Day 1 – Candy Cane Cookies
- 12 Days of Christmas Cookies – Day 2 – Cowboy Cookies Recipe
- 12 Days of Christmas Cookies – Day 3 – Cherry Chocolate Kiss Cookies Recipe